Custom Catalog Requirements
Klaviyo can sync custom catalogs that meet the following requirements:
- The catalog is a public, hosted feed of all the items in your catalog.
- The feed is in JSON or XML.
- The data in the feed is only one node deep.
- The size limit on custom catalogs is 25K items. Please contact Klaviyo if your catalog exceeds this limit.
NOTE: Google Merchant feeds are not currently supported because our current logic assumes that the data in the feed array is 1 node deep, and Google Merchant feeds use RSS 2.0 specs (where the items array is 2 nodes deep).
Properties Available to Sync
For each item in your catalog, include the following required properties:
- Unique ID (you can use your SKUs)
- Product Title
- Product URL
- Product Description
- Image URL
NOTE: For images we recommend using a thumbnail or small image for each item. Klaviyo does not resize product images within our Product Feed block automatically. While you can scale down these images by adjusting the maximum height setting for your Product Block, using our Custom Catalog feature you are able to control which images populate for each item and the size of these images.
Other optional properties (we highly recommend including these):
- Product Price - no prefix needed, just numeric value. Including product price allows you to populate price inside a Product Block.
- Categories - a comma-separated list of categories associated with an item. Including category information allows you to filter and limit Product Feeds by certain categories.
Syncing a Custom Catalog to Klaviyo
After ensuring your custom catalog meets the requirements outlined above, follow the steps in this section to sync your catalog to Klaviyo.
2. Click Add Source .
3. Fill in the information about your catalog:
a. Name - the name of your custom catalog.
b. URL - the URL of your custom catalog.
c. (optional) Username and Password - if you’re using authentication for your catalog, enter the username and password details. Custom catalogs support Basic Auth.
4. After filling in your custom catalog information, click Add Source.
5. You are taken to the catalog sources page and your custom catalog will begin to sync. Click the title of your catalog, or the Configure field mapping link to map your fields.
The catalog source page displays all available fields from your catalog, and the Klaviyo fields they map to. Map the 5 Klaviyo required fields, and the 2 option fields if you’re using them. For all fields, ensure the Type matches the table below. For required fields, set the Required value to Yes . Note that the names in the table for Item Field may differ from the names used in your catalog.
The image below shows a correctly mapped catalog:
7. Click Confirm Source so save and update your catalog settings.
8. To complete the catalog setup, contact Klaviyo and we will enable your custom catalog inside of your account.
How Often Custom Catalogs Sync
During the initial sync, Klaviyo pull s in the custom feed and store s a local version. Then the catalog is updated once an hour.
Using Custom Catalog Data in Your Emails
There are two ways you can use catalog data inside of your emails: custom product feeds, and the catalog lookup feature.
Using Custom Product Feeds
After syncing your custom catalog to your Klaviyo account, you can create a Product Feed based off of your custom catalog.
NOTE: Our Help Center has complete instructions about Product Feeds and Recommendations.
When adding a product feed from a custom catalog, make sure to check the following settings:
- Ecommerce Integration - Select the event “API: Placed Order”. If you don’t see this event, look for a similar event tied to your placed order events. This event is configured by Klaviyo when you contact us to sync a custom catalog.
- Store Scope - Select “API: Default”. This option lets you configure which catalog your feed will use, in the event that you have multiple catalogs.
If you included associated product categories in your custom feed for each item, you will be able to limit a feed to only include (or exclude) certain product categories on this screen.
After updating the settings, click Create Product Feed . Your feed is now available to you use inside of your emails.
Open an email in the template editor and drag in a Product Block. Your feed appears as an available option. Read more about using a Product Block in our Help Center.
Using the Catalog Lookup Feature
After syncing your custom catalog to your Klaviyo account, you can use the Catalog Lookup feature to reference product information from your catalog inside of your emails.
For complete and updated instructions, read about the Catalog Lookup Feature in our Help Center.